[Harp-L] Funk and harmonica

  Nick Frazier <fraziern@xxxxxxx> wrote;
<I'm an intermediate player, mostly playing blues harp, and I'm looking to expand into funk/r&b.  What are some good albums to listen to, to get the feel for the style?>

oo    JR "Bulldogge" Ross ()()   & Snuffy, too:)`--' gave one of the most precise "non-technician" answers that I've ever seen on this list - It's gone directly into my personal archives.
 Amongst many other worthy names, "Michael Peloquin" <peloquinharp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
mentions Dyke & The Blazers.   Their book 'The Art or Playing Rhythm & Blues" - Volume One - The 50's and 60's -A Doctor Licks Publication - is a treasure-trove of grooves written for rhythm guitars, bass & drums.
 I copied a whole bunch of there examples, converted them to midi and now when I need to brush up my Funk/ Rhythm & Blues chops I can choose different styles such as:
 The Dells, Doris Troy, The Chords, early James Brown, Jackie Wilson, Drifters, Wilson Pickett, Eddie Floyd, Sam & Dave, Miracles,  Stevie, Otis, Aretha, brothers Johnson etc..
There are over sixty examples!
I don't know if it is still in print - maybe a google "doctor licks publication" search will bring something up?
Hope this helps.

Mox
http://jmredon.free.fr/monsitewebebcountryblues/entree.htm