From: john merx <mxpoet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:35:28 +0000
Subject: [Harp-L] Open Jams

Hi all,

I am relatively new to this online gig. But i could use your input. The blues society of central pennsylvania has an open blues jam. It is starting to get so popular that many bands, performers, even non-blues musicians are lined out the door trying to get on stage.

To be fair to the crowd, the players, and the intent of the blues society, we are brainstorming some ideas from the jam to try to give it a little more structure, rules or what have you. Currently, there is a house drum set, PA, keyboard, guitar amp and vocal mic and we do use a sign up sheet but it often ends up being that whomever wants to play together plays together regardless of the sign up sheet.

I know harp players have to get to jams to get noticed and sit in with other people constantly. Could you all give us some examples of the structure of different jams you have played at? Perhaps we will find something new that we have overlooked and it will make the difference in the blues jam for scores of musicians, hundreds of fans, the bar that hosts it, and about 10 harmonica players who come out regularly, including Fathead Mike Easton, Wild Bill Hines, Rick Smith, Daine Paul Russell and me John Merx.

Thank you very much I look forward to your input.

John