Re: [Harp-L] Funk and harmonica

Excellent post Mox.......what treasure of a list you've presented...

I might add my 2 cents, the best thing that EVER happened to my improvisational chops on HARMONICA since Littler Walter and Paul Butterfield....was when I discovered R&B.....another world opened up!

18 years ago I was hosting a Blues Jam with my band in NYC at a club called "Under Acme"....word got out and many great players came down as they heard it was a good scene and they could sit in with the band and play some blues.

( Blues was pretty much my specialty back then and aside from studying some classical chrom with Bonfiglio.....and playing some top 40 at weddings and lounges...Blues is what I played & Loved...)

Well getting back to my story, into the club one night in walked a drummer that everyone was excited about,
I had NEVER heard of him, his name:
Bernard "Pretty" Purdie......so I asked him up to play....and I became an R&B junkie from that night on ! -(and have also gone on to become his Musical Director)

Go to your computer and do a GOOGLE search on his name and then check out ANY record he is on and you WILL know the meaning of FUNK-SOUL_GROOVE music....the man is immersed in it!

But the cool thing is he's brought his "funk" to many other styles and SHOWED them how to incorporate it in their own Bag: here's just a FEW examples:

-aretha live at the fillmore west
-king curtis " " " "
-Quincy Jones - Walking in Space
-Steely Dan- Aja, Home at Last, Golden Earrings, Deacon Blues.........and more
-Jimmy McGriff, Jack McDuff, Grover Washington, Stanley Turrentine, The Monkees, Doris Troy,........and way tooo many more to mention....

It's an honor and I feel blessed to work and study with this living legend of Soul Music....

On the Vocal spectrum I've learned VOLUMES from my partner in the Blues Bros Band Vocalist and songwriter extrodinaire (Knock on Wood, 634-5789, Raise your Hands) as well as our Guitarist, Steve Cropper (a walking R&B encyclopedia)

hope this adds some insight to the Funk-Harmonica connection....

Hey perhaps this could be a seminar at SPAH next year:

'puttin' a lil' FUNK in Harp' ,-)))))

BTW, looked like a badass convention in KC, sorry I missed y'all!

Well gotta run and shed these Ed Palermo Big Band charts for tonite.....have a great day.....

Love & Peace,
Rob

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mox Gowland" <mox1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>