Re: [Harp-L] Playing harp in a rack

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim McBride" <jpmcbride@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 6:41 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Playing harp in a rack

Was wondering if any of you played harp in a rack with guitar. I'm working on this and its really slow going. I can play the harp as long as the harp notes change on the beats with the guitar - thats pretty easy. But as soon as I'm playing something like a shuffle on the guitar and try to play a triplet on the harp the whole thing falls apart. I guess it just takes time. Any advise on practice routines or any help on this would be appreciated.

Welcome to the fascination of rack & guitar playing!

I have some advice that might help you.

1. Practice the parts separately until you can do both fluently.
2. Slow the difficult rhythms down until you can do them...even if they no longer sound musical. You want them so slow that you can switch your attention back and forth between the instruments before every note. Practice them at that speed repeatedly without pressing for speed. Unconsciously, you will gradually speed up and they will begin to sound musical.
3. Practice singing the harmonica part with guitar accompaniment to get the rhythm right.
4. Musical independence will come with practice, so persevere. Keyboard artists play separate rhythms with right and left hands. Organists play independent parts with both hands and their feet! If thise musicians can do it, so can you.

At SPAH04, we had a great event dedicated to rack playing. I was amazed at the number of first rate players that perform on a rack. Jimi Lee, James Conway, Madcat Ruth, Richard Sleigh, Marv Monroe and others gave terrific rack performances.

Marv Monroe plays F and F# XB40s side by side on a rack. He has been playing great music on a rack for years.

I invite you to visit my website and consider playing chromatic harmonica on a rack. : http://www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com

Vern