[Harp-L] Re: minidisc recording (was:JR's Whammer Jammer)

I experienced a similar problem recording an electric band one time and have struggled with muddy sounds from acoustic sessions with multiple guitars as well. I poked around a little on the MD sites and found that the built-in mic pre-amp on my recorder (Sony MZ-N707) can't handle the higher sound pressure levels. Instead it was recommended to use the line-in jack and a higher quality exernal mic pre-amp. So I bought one and a set of stereo microphones from MicrophoneMadness.com. So far I have been plenty satisfied with the sound though I have not recorded an electric session yet. I figure that will sound good as well.

Oh yeah, I also use the long play setting and am quite impressed with how good the sound is even at that compression level.

Hope that helps.

--Frank

MLeFree wrote:

[SNIP]

I'm now quite curious about the details of how other Hi-MD users make the
very good quality JR recordings you can download from archive.org. I do
have a nice stereo stick mic.

[SNIP]