[Harp-L] Popperularity vs. Quality

      Jim,
              On one level I agree w/ you it's nice
that a harp player is getting recognition and has
obviously developed his craft.  It's quite another
thing to say that because someone has sold many
records that they're good. Pat Boone's version of
"Tutti Frutti " outsold Little Richard's . I
challenge you to find a musician to say his version is
better.
Hence, my previous "MacDonald's " remark. MacDonald's
sells billions of burgers but does that make them
superior
to French Cordon Blue cuisine or other excellent
culinary styles including Mexican and Indian ?
       To me blues is similar: it's been around over
150 years   so it's really a cultural entity of
substance . Lots of people (especially American ) like
fast food, ditto fast music . The
only question is , "Why do I try to rearrange the deck
chairs
the Titanic ? " No wait, lots of young people love the
blues
 music or any art form of quality . I 'm not that
cynical . Now
if we could just do something about that global
warming ....
                                              Onward
and upward,

          Chris " Hammer " Smith