[Harp-L] Re: Open Jams

I heard some good advice from a hard-core jam operator the other day.  He said, "a jam is for musicians to get used to playing with other musicians... ones they don't necessarily know.  Bands sometimes come to jams to get a gig.  That's a showcase, not a jam."

Taking his words, I'd say, try to discourage full bands from clogging up your jam.

I've been a frequent jammer for quite a while.  The best jams occur when:

-Everyone gets to play
-The order of the list dictates playing order (although there can be room to wiggle here)
-The audience is considered
-The growth of players is considered.

If there's a ton of people, limit to two songs to start.  If people come as a group, let them play when it's the last guy to arrive's turn.

Don't put all the beginners together!!!!  Mix up pros/advanced players with the beginners.  This way the guys/girls who are learning get the support they need.

Finally, watch out for selfish jam folk for whom "self pleasure" is their only goal.  Such individuals can poison the whole thing.

For a comprehensive dissertation on or a guided tour of the CT blues jam scene, email me offlist.

Dan G.

Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Open Jams

john merx wrote:

Could you all give us some examples of the structure of different jams
you have
played at? Perhaps we will find something new that we have overlooked
and it
will make the difference in the blues jam for scores of musicians,
hundreds of
fans, the bar that hosts it.....