[Harp-L] Why all this discussion of Popper?

Hello all. I'm new to the list and don't want to stirr up a lot of controversy, but I really don't understand all this discussion about JP. I've heard this kind of discussion before - and you might as well add in similar discussions about Neil Young and Bob Dylan. In my opinion if someone can play music of any kind and people like it and pay money to hear it, then thats fantastic. Who am I, or anyone else, to judge which music is better. We can certainly tell which styles are more technically challenging to play, but technical ability doesn't necessarily make good music.

Especially with the harp we should embrace all players. If its harp and someone is getting paid to play it then thats one hell of an accomplishement. Neil Young sold a whole lot of records with "Heart of Gold". The harp on that song is very simple but it sounds great and people love it. Its not technical, but its musical ... and isn't that the goal of all of our playing? A lot of young people have never heard harp except for JP. He's introducing a whole group of people to the harp that might not otherwise have ever had any exposure to it. He has a commercially successful band that is fronted by a harp player. Enough said.

Keep on harping all,
Jim McBride