Re: [Harp-L] Advice needed

How 'bout getting a sheet of 400 wet-or-dry from the hardware store, and taking the sharpness off the edges (dry). If the sound of the MBD inspires you, I'd say stick with it for awhile. Prettiness isn't as important as the sound that comes out.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Gates" <dan.gates@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2005 9:48 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Advice needed

Hello Folks,

I'm new to the harp, and would very much appreciate some advice from you
experienced players.

After playing some inexpensive instruments for several months in order to
see if the harp was for me, I bought a couple of more up market harps. I
got a Suzuki Pro master and a Hohner Marine Band Deluxe, both in the key of
D. The Suzuki is beautifully made, looks great and feels even better. The
Hohner sounds absolutely amazing but is a disaster in terms of build
quality. It has very sharp edges, everywhere. It looks like a toy in
comparison to the Suzuki, but what a sound.

I really love playing (although I'm still crap) and very much want to
continue learning. Before I make any more purchases, I would like to know
if anyone knows of a harp that has the sound of the Hohner and has the build
quality of the Suzuki? I just love the more raunchy sound of the Hohner. I
do realize that much of this is probably personal perception; however I'd
still like to hear some opinions on this matter.

Thanks in advance for any sage advice.

Dan