Re: [Harp-L] Re: Open Jams

Respectfully, I can't comment on which term is technically the most correct (I simply don't know), but *everybody* around my neck of the woods calls these things jams. There is a list, people are called up to play a small set of songs, etc. I've never heard it called a sit-in. The last thing I heard called a sit-in was a college protest gathering. :-)

But I see the point you are trying to make RE: 'open jams' (like the blues jam at SPAH) vs. closed jams.

--Frank

Joe and Cass Leone wrote:

You fellows are confusing a 'Jam' with 'sitting-in' again. A jam is where anyone who wants to play on a particular tune can do so. An open jam is open to anyone. A closed jam has selected musicians beforehand. Ergo a sign up sheet is a closed jam. Limiting number of tunes one can play on is a 'sit-in' smo-joe