Re: [Harp-L] Richard Newell/King Biscuit Boy

On Aug 27, 2005, at 1:31 AM, hazcon wrote:

I picked up an album of his years ago in a junk shop,his stuff AFaik was never released in Newzealand.The owner said an american merchant sailor had lost his money in a card game and had had to sell his watch,records etc etc so as to be able to still send his wife state side some pay...thats the blues..
Anyway I near wore that record out and as proof that it was a good one, someone stole it after one of our parties...
Richard could sure play..may his new harp not be a stringed one. ;-)
Rick
in NZ

I had his album entitled "King Biscuit Boy". The one he did with Alan Toussaint. I thought that anyone with the audacity to call themselves that (considering I heard the REAL one live....Rice Miller), would HAVE to be good. There was very very little harp on the vinyl. The tune mentioned by Tony Eyers was about the only good one on the album. Don't shoot me, it's just my opinion.
smo-joe