RE: [Harp-L] Re: minidisc recording

Ray Beltran wrote:
> I don't know if this has been mentioned before, Michelle...
> Be careful to choose mics that suit your needs. Mics that are
> omnidirectional, with a pickup pattern that will collect sound from
> nearly all around the mic, can result in recordings that contain too
> much extraneous noise. Yes, even the conversation you're having while
> listening to a performance may be picked up. I don't like the "T" style
> mics for this reason. I chose mics with a narrower pickup pattern,
> unidirectional mics, in order to pickup less of the unnecessary noise
> one hears at a live performance. You still get the sense of a live
> performance with background noise; just less of it. You can also go
> extreme and choose a "shotgun" style mic with an extremely narrow
> pickup pattern, but that's not necessary, and may present an entirely
> different set of problems altogether.

I have a single-point stick mic' that I bought several years ago when I
bought my former cassette recording rig (a live recording casualty).  That
was before I even knew of the twin-gooseneck style mic's.  The stick mic'
has an adjustable pickup pattern and seems to yield nice recordings for my
needs anyhoo.  I don't have much live music recording experience dealing
with amplified sound levels like those created by JR and his band.  I'm more
used to recording acoustic music, so I derive great  benefit from good
practical hints like you offer.  More experience applying such advice will
be the key.

> One more note: I usually place my recording equipment near the back of
> the venue and above the height of the crowd, making sure that one of
> the mics is pointed at the harp amp. I'll always pick up sound from the
> PA; I'm not worried about that. But sometimes I've had one mic pointed
> at the harp amp, and another at a PA speaker. That makes for a good
> mix. There's plenty of bleed over from one mic to the next, so it turns
> out more balanced than would seem from the description here.
>
> Hope this helps.

Ray, this kind of specific information is very helpful indeed!  I never
would have thought of recording from the rear of a room.  I always go early
and fight for a front and center seat.  Thank you so much!

Michelle