Re: [Harp-L] Richard Newell/King Biscuit Boy

On Aug 27, 2005, at 2:24 PM, Jerry Kitich wrote:

The one album of his that I listened to extensivley was Urban Renewell, lots of harp etc. I may take a mosey down to the public library & see what else they have of his.

Well our library is lame, but you have sparked my interest. Obviously he has some good stuff out there and see that's the problem with making a 'marginal' album. It kills the possibility of some future sales. IF people specialize in a particular instrument, AND that instrument has either a strong (or DEDICATED..as in the case of harp) base, they should endeavor to give the listener/potential customer something to sink their teeth into.
Unfortunately I found the King Biscuit Boy album to be a lot of jive singing and the harp was too scant to even consider it a harp 'related' album. This even in view of the fact that on the album cover (Alone and with NO other band members) he is standing at Bourbon and Royal sts in the 'Vieu Carre' district of NOLa, AND brandishing a harp in his hand. I would almost consider it false advertising as the 43.5 minutes contains the OTHER band members about 68 SECONDS of harp.
Too bad cause he was a good player and a nice kid..... god rest his soul
smokey-joe