RE: [Harp-L] minidisc recording

Bobbie Giordano added to my list of suggestions for minidisc recording:
> Michelle, depending on the good will of the band and/or venue, sometimes
you
> can get permission to plug into the PA, which of course, cuts out a LOT of
> non-band extraneous noises.  But, then, the crowd noise is sometimes what
> folks actually want in the mix.

Yes, I know what you mean.  I've heard live recordings off the board and the
sound ~is~ better to be sure, but it is wierd listening to the silence whn
the band is waiting for the applause to subside.  I guess I'd shoot to have
just a ~little~ crowd noise in the mix.  The right way to do that is with a
multi-channel recorder.  With a stereo recorder like the minidisc, I'll just
have to experiment with mic' placement.

> Also, as Ray implied, a less omni-directional mic may be problematic,
> especially if used, as you were saying, right up front.  You could end up
> getting almost nothing BUT harmonica in the mix... but, maybe that's a
good
> thing, eh?  :)

That would depend on who is playing!  ;)

> Oh, and another thing, many MD mics come ready to plug right into the
> line-out or mic-out jack, but it's normally better if you can separate the
> mic from the machine a bit with a mic extension line.  The whirring of the
> minidisc can actually be loud enough to mess up your recording quality...
> more with Sonys, so I've heard. ;)

I found that out the hard way...

> I have a Sharp MD-MT821 that I LOVE, but unfortunately, it currently needs
> repair.  :(  Sure wanted it for SPAH, durn it!

Oh, what a bummer!  I opted for a SONY unit out of concern for being able to
get it serviced if (when) it needs it.  As best I can tell, SONY is the only
manufacturer marketing minidisc recorders in the US big time.  Yes, you can
get other manufacturer's minidisc recorders if you really search for a
supplier, but they seem to be "Japanese" units as best I can tell.  I hope
that your Sharp is not languishing in disrepair for want of a convenient
repair facility.  I was also concerned that a Japanese recorder might only
display in Kanji, which I am not very good at.  :)

Thanks for the tips, Bobbie!

Michelle