Re: RE: [Harp-L] minidisc recording

"MLeFree" <mlefree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Bobbie Giordano added to my list of suggestions for minidisc recording:
> > sometimes you can get permission to plug into the PA, which of course,
> > cuts out a LOT of non-band extraneous noises.  But, then, the crowd
> > noise is sometimes what folks actually want in the mix.
>
> Yes, I know what you mean.  I've heard live recordings off the board and the
> sound ~is~ better to be sure, but it is wierd listening to the silence whn
> the band is waiting for the applause to subside.

aside from the silence, a soundboard recording sounds quite different than
what you hear when you're there.  it's often debated which is better.  many,
myself included, would rather have a good audience recording, in general.

> I guess I'd shoot to have
> just a ~little~ crowd noise in the mix.  The right way to do that is with a
> multi-channel recorder.  With a stereo recorder like the minidisc, I'll just
> have to experiment with mic' placement.

some tapers, and most of "instant live" kind of releases, record both
soundboard and aud and mix them together into a "matrix" release.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Your love, your anger, your kindness, your hate.
All of it creates the future for you and your children.
What kind of future are you creating today?