Re: [Harp-L] Hohner reed plates

Michael Fugazzi wrote:
> I play almost all Golden Melodies with the exception
> of the low octave SP20's.  I heard one time that the
> brass reed plates from a Marine Band is the same as
> that of a GM.  Is that true?  If I bought a Marine
> Band could I put the reeds on my GM's?

It is true that the reeds and slots (size, spacing, material, etc.)
is identical between the Hohner handmade models (Golden Melody,
Special 20 and Marine Band), but the external features of the reed
plates are different.  The Golden Melody plates are shorter and are
drilled for eight screws, as well as being drilled for the cover
support/screw holes in the comb.

What you are suggesting is possible, and there are two different
approaches.  One is to remove all the reeds from a set of Marine
Band plates and install them in the reedplates of a Golden Melody.
If you choose to do this you will likely need to do some measure of
fine tuning, and you will spend a lot of time dealing with reed
response issues, making all the reeds respond evenly.  You also need
to be careful that you're installing long slot reeds into long slot
plates (key of C and lower), or short slot reeds into short slot
plates (key of Db and higher).

A second approach would be to cut down and fit a set of Marine Band
plates to a Golden Melody body.  This involves trimming about 5mm
from each end of the plate, and of course drilling and tapping the
screw holes, as well as drilling the oversized cover screw holes.
These must be fairly precisely located so the package can be
assembled properly.

Neither approach is all that simple, but I prefer to modify the
Marine Band plates to fit, rather than fiddle with moving all those
reeds.  In either case, unless you have a bunch of spare parts lying
around, you're going to spend twice as much money buying one harp
for the comb and covers and another harp for the reeds/plates.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps
http://www.workingmansharps.com/