[Harp-L] Re: New Memeber/Amp Tech in So. Cal.

On Aug 31, 2005, at 2:46 PM, Steve Clason wrote:

On 8/31/05, Ray Beltran <raybeltran@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ron Holmes, just north of L.A., in Bakersfield, my old home town.

Now there's a reason to play the blues. -- Steve Clason, old Oildale boy Boulder, Colorado, USA steve.clason@xxxxxxxxx

Hey, Steve! You from Oildale, man?!?!?! You an "Oh-eighter", boy? I was actually raised in Oildale myself!

Oildale is the "oil producing suburb" north of Bakersfield. That entire area is home to some of the greatest country western musicians you'll ever hear. Rose Madox made her mark there. Trout's, on Chester Avenue, is still visited my many famous and not-so-famous people wanting to take a peek at America's musical heritage.

I went to school with Buddy Owens, Buck's son, and Marty Haggard, Merle's son. Marty was my handball partner in high school.

Man, if them two didn't lay down the blues, I don't know who did. It ain't Chicago or Memphis, but it's good old "okie" blues. I use that term affectionately, as there were many good people in that town who welcomed this Mexican-American boy and his family into their all-white neighborhoods like we were family. I love those people dearly.

I did some recording at "Fat Tracks", the old River Theater on North Chester where I was left as a child by my parents to watch movies all Saturday long with my friends and siblings. Buck turned it into a recording studio, and Bakersfield became known to many on the inside as "Nashville West." I pulled back some acoustic curtains and could still see the beautiful murals that adorned the walls.

'Bout the biggest name in harp playing that came out of Bakersfield in recent memory is Sunny California, one Sonny Lackey. He played with "Big House", a rockin' C&W band. They are no longer.

Thanks for indulging me, y'all.

Ray.
--
My Music – www.resgraphics.com/music