Re: [Harp-L] Keyboard Amps?

"CHARLES BASSI" wrote:
"Has anyone had luck with keyboard amps?  As everyone says, your tone is
you, not your amp. I'm wondering if I could get more volume and more
dynamics with a keyboard amp as a mini-PA? Has anyone had experience
with this?"

And Rainbow Jimmy added:
"You can buy a Behringer keyboard amp and a DigiTech 200a for $350.00
at Musicians Friend. I'm very tempted."

To which I add:
A keyboard amp basically is a small, self-contained PA.  Most such amps
have a power amp, a big speaker to handle bass and mid frequencies, and
a tweeter for high frequencies.  Most have EQ, and can handle either
1/4" or XLR input.  Some have effects built in; some have a simple mixer
too.  Line out jacks are usually present.

Like any other kind of amp, all keyboard amps do NOT sound the same.
Their basic role is to take a complex signal -- like the wide frequency
sounds put out by a keyboard -- and project it loudly and clearly.  Some
makes and models do a better job than others.  The ability to handle
transients -- the initial attack portion of a sound -- in particular
varies from model to model.

Keyboard magazine has run several articles in the last couple of years
devoted to these amps.  Go to Keyboard's online site and check out those
articles. In the mid-range price zone, Roland and Peavey amps performed
very well overall. I don't recall that Behringer's amps were reviewed by
Keyboard.  Alesis will very soon release a line of keyboard amps with
high-quality digital effects like reverb, delay, flange, etc., and the
prices are VERY attractive. However, it's a new line, so build quality
is an unknown.

I use a Peavey KB/A 100, which differs from the previous KB100 in that
it has a 4-band EQ -- VERY useful for tuning the sound of the harp to
the room.  The KB/A series has since been replaced by a new line, which
I haven't tried.  The KB/A 100 is loud (65 watts), a little heavy but
tolerable (wheels are probably a good idea), and produces a great,
clean, clear sound -- whatever I put into it comes out the way it went
in, just a whole lot louder.  It's a good-looking amp, and it looks and
sounds like pro gear on stage.  My live rig basically consists of the
KB/A 100 and the Digitech RP200.  I run one mic straight to the KB/A 100
for a completely clean sound, and run the RP to a second channel.  I run
a line from the KB/A 100 line out to the mixing board, and that's the
setup.  it takes less than 15 minutes to get everything working.

While we're on the subject of Peaveys and amp modelers, Madcat Ruth uses
a Peavey Transformer 112 amp, which is a self-contained 1x12 combo amp
with built-in amp modeling and effects.  Madcat said in this forum that
he liked it so much that he bought two of them.  On the other hand, with
one of those, you're still required to carry the whole amp around with
you.  If you buy a keyboard amp and an amp modeler, you always have the
choice of showing up at the gig with the amp modeler only, and running
it through the PA.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com