[Harp-L] controlled magnetic microphone

I was confused about the difference between a dynamic mic and a controlled
magnetic mic. Here's the answer I got from Shure.

Response (Michael Pettersen) - 02/02/2005 01:53 PM
A controlled magnetic element is a variation of a dynamic element.

In the controlled magnetic (also called controlled reluctance) element:
1) the magnet is stationary,
2) the wire coil is stationary,
3) the metal diaphragm moves a ferrous rod that disturbs the magnetic field,
4) thus causing an output signal in the wire coil.

The controlled magnetic element was developed during World War II.  It was a
very rugged design that could stand up to military use.   Shure discontinued
the last controlled magnetic microphone in the early 1980's.

Therefore, all controlled magnetic mics are dynamic mics, not all dynamic mics
are controlled magnetic.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm