Re: [Harp-L] Oh, another software question!

Jaime Viehweg wrote:
I usually record myself playing when I play for my teacher.  Sometimes
at home when I think I "have it".  Often times in class there is some
delay in starting or a bit of extra time at the end before I can stop
the recorder.  Ok, finally the question:

What software out there is good for editing MP3 files.  Mostly to trim
the beginning and end, but the ability to patch various files together
or do some tweaking of the sound (raise up the volume, for example) would
be good, too.  I guess I'm looking for a fairly simple, easy to use,
sound mixing type of thingy...?  Can you tell I don't know much about
this sort of thing?

I usually use Windoze Media Player to slow down stuff so forgive me if
the often mentioned packages (like Amazing Slow-downer) do this sort
of thing.  I just don't know it!

Thanks.

jaime

The freeware Audacity (sourceforge.net) is not bad and the price is right. GoldWave, a shareware product for around $50 will do a lot more than you need, but will give you an idea of what a pro package will do. It's also one of the few true shareware software packages left. You get an infinite trial period.

Anything you use on mp3s will need to expand them to .wav or something else before operating on them. There's some loss of fidelity in expanding and recompressing, but in the worst case it's way better than a third generation copy of a tape.

If you do a web search on "multi track recording" or "audio editor" you'll find all sorts of information. A fair amount of it will be useful. If you go to your favorite download site and search on the same things you'll see a lot of free to moderate priced software. Almost everything you can download will allow you a reasonable trial. Some of them have a time limit and others do things like limit the length of saved files to something tiny.

If I were you I'd download a bunch of programs and try them out. A lot depends on how you like the interface (look and feel). The only way to find out is to fool around with it.
--
Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the internet--that's me

http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly