[Harp-L] blues v. bluegrass jam formats

"By and large, IMO, the harmonica

has a limited role in Bluegrass Music*; it's great for a few songs but I

could live without it for the rest. Again, IMO, if Charlie McCoy (a great

harp player) had missed his bus and not shown up for the "Strictly

Instrumental" album sessions with Flatt & Scruggs and Doc Watson, that would

have been fine with me."

I feel I should respond here. Firstly there are a number of fine bluegrass
harmonica players on the list, who would not share your view. In particular,
players such as P.T. Gazell, Cara Cooke, Bob Meehan and Peter (Trip)
Henderson come to mind. I should add my name as well. Have a listen to some
of the cuts on www.harmonicatunes.com <http://www.harmonicatunes.com/>
While these may not change your view, at least you will have another
reference point, besides the old Charlie McCoy recording. Have a look at
some of the links, as you will meet (and hear) a range of fine bluegrass
harmonica players.

Tony Eyers

Australia