Re: [Harp-L] Accompaniment Questions

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jp Pagán" <jpl_pagan@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "harp-l harp-l" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2005 5:57 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Accompaniment Questions

Writing or playing two-part harmony isn't simple enough to describe in an email. Without coming anywhere near covering the subject, here are some factoids.

1. It is true that harmony frequently involves two instruments or voices at intervals of thirds or sixths. However, that cannot be relentless.
2. "Unison" means playing the same pitch, not playing the same rhythm pattern.
3. In "voice leading", as multi-part harmonies are called in music theory, (instruments are called "voices" too) Playing more than one note in parallel fifths or octaves is discouraged. When you have been playing thirds or sixths and then play fifths or octaves, it sounds like one voice has dropped out.
4 You could answer many of these questions by sitting at a keyboard and trying out some things that occur to you. Your ear will tell you quickly what doesn't work and that there is much to be learned.
5. Sometimes it sounds great when the top voice is descending and the lower voice is ascending. In that case successive intervals are different. Example: "Chopsticks"
6. You should have an understanding of the underlying chord.
7. Although it is OK to play a few notes that are not in the chord, there are many "rules" about when it does and doesn't sound good.
8. Music theory gives you many rules for tonal harmony and voice leading. These rules are an aid to learning what sounds best to most people most of the time. All musical rules are broken occasionally. However, you should learn them and then deliberately break them if you must, not break them because you are ignorant of them.
9. The best harmony parts make a pleasant melody when played alone.
10. This is not a simple or easy subject. It comes in a thick book! However, some exceptionally talented musicians can "hear" and sing/play harmony parts without "book learning". I suspect that if you were one of these, you wouldn't be asking the questions below on harp-l.

Vern,
Visit my harmonica website: http://www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com

  anyway... i've read that playing in "parallel
thirds" (or fifths) is a good way to play
accompaniment. and get a horn-section like sound. my
band make-up is guitar, piano, bass, drums, harp, and
vocal. so, say, if my guitarist (or piano player) is
playing a riff like D F G (over the I chord in G) and
i play F Ab Bb and we play the line in unison, is that
kind of the idea? what if i play that line over the G
chord but i don't have anyone paralleling me with the
accompanying riff, could that still work? wouldn't it
just sound like i'm playing the riff in the wrong key?