Fwd: [Harp-L] Accompaniment Questions

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jp "Pagán" <jpl_pagan@xxxx>
wrote:
hey all,

    I have some general questions about playing
accompaniment. i don't know anything about horn
sections - i've really just played harp and most of my
albums are chicago and delta blues records. some
horns, but not alot. i'm also light in the music
theory dept.
   anyway... i've read that playing in "parallel
thirds" (or fifths) is a good way to play
accompaniment. and get a horn-section like sound. my
band make-up is guitar, piano, bass, drums, harp, and
vocal. so, say, if my guitarist (or piano player) is
playing a riff like D F G (over the I chord in G) and
i play F Ab Bb and we play the line in unison, is that
kind of the idea? what if i play that line over the G
chord but i don't have anyone paralleling me with the
accompanying riff, could that still work? wouldn't it
just sound like i'm playing the riff in the wrong key?

     thanks,
             --Jp