RE: [Harp-L] re: amps on Ebay

Do people buy amps on Ebay? How do you know if the amp works? How do you know
what it sounds like? Same with mics. Any instrument really. It would scare the
heck out of me to spend any money on something like that.

Rainbow Jimmy

I've bought about 20 items on ebay but nothing very expensive. This includes a couple of harps, listed as "new," but which had certainly been handled a bit but which were OK. I'm never going to pay anything like the "new" price on ebay, even for new stuff. I wouldn't want to buy a wood-bodied or valved harp this way myself. A cheap ebay used harp could be a useful supply of bits, e.g. reeds or body, even if you doubt whether the harp's in good playing shape. I've bought a few used CDs, all of which have been good. Before you buy anything, make sure the seller has no negative feedback. I would also be wary of buying from anyone who's so new that they have hardly any feedback. Check out their shipping charges. There's a cheap second-hand Honeytone amp on here at the moment - with a shipping charge, even within the UK, of £7.50 - approx. $14! If you buy from overseas check out any customs/import duties payable. Don't pay by direct money transfer - use Paypal if possible. There are certain protections for buyers in place but I don't know how useful they are. Any dispute could turn into a real hassle. Your best weapon is often to threaten negative feedback before you post it - I got a refund this way on an item that got broken in the post due to inadequate packaging by the seller. And don't get carried away. A few months ago, a used C SP20 went for over £26 including postage. I can buy a brand-new one here for five or six quid less than that!

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm
READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm