Re: [Harp-L] Interval question - was Hoochie Coochie Man - 1stposition!!

Yeah, I really explained that interval part poorly. When you play the 4-5
draw warble in first position over the V chord (E chord in this case) you
are getting the top two notes of a dominant 7th chord, in this case B and D
on the A harp. But since the band will be playing E7, you are playing notes
out of that chord and not clashing by throwing in a Minor 3rd (even though
that is a cool thing to do in blues some times). If you draw 2, 3, 4, and 5,
simultaneously, you get the entire dominant 7th chord which has the major
third (G#) on the 3 draw.

On a D harp, the 4 draw is E and the 5 draw is G natural. This is a minor
third. So in first position on an A harp, you are playing the top two notes
of an E dominant 7th chord, and if you include the 3 draw you can add the
major third - G#. On a D harp, you are playing the bottom two notes of an E
minor chord.

So, of course the interval between 4 and 5 draw doesn't actually change, but
it changes within the context.

I hope this clears it up.

Alec Drachman
http://www.bluecats.org