Re: [Harp-L] Accompaniment Questions

Hey Jp,

I don't have any good grasp of music theory, so I
certainly won't try to help you there. Besides,
you've already got some great input on this.

I would only suggest that you try to spend time
with a good horn player, either onstage or in a
practice session to get a feel for how they look at
accompaniment.

Recently, I had the opportunity, in an open stage
type environment, to share the stage with an
experienced jazz sax player. I spent the night
following his expert accompanyment lines and, when
I wasn't aping his lines I successfully harmonized
with him on a number of occasions - purley by ear.
Then I'd offer a line and he'd harmonize what I
played.

He "telegraphed" his lines for me with body
language, and, by using my proverbial "big ears",
was able to quickly find harp lines that worked
with him. It was a great learning experience for me
and we were a real hit with the crowd. If you can
hook up with someone who knows his stuff, I think
you'll get a feel for it very very quickly.

Beyond that, do what I haven't done -- learn the
theory, learn the rules and when to break 'em.
You'll be way ahead of the game.

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.