RE: [Harp-L] Using flute or trumpet mics for acoustic cupped sound

Winslow Yerxa writes:
> I'm still looking for a "hands free" roaming mic that will capture an
> acoustic harmonica sound.
>
> A critical part of this picture is capturing a hand-cupped sound - what
> the listener hears and mics pick up OUTSIDE the hand cup.
>
> I occurs to me that something like a flexible gooseneck flute or
> trumpet mic like the one found here:
>
> http://www.kksound.com/silverbullet.html
>
> could be mounted with velcro on the wrist of the hand that holds the
> harmonica and extended to just behind the back of that hand. It would
> be just outside the opening of the hand cup and out of the way of the
> "moving" hand - the one that opens and closes. It'd be a little like
> those headset mics you see people like Janet Jackson wearing so they
> can sing while dancing.
>
> Anybody have any comments on this idea?

I hesitate to point this one out, especially to the all-knowing Winslow.
Never-the-less, many of the pro's I've seen perform use a vocal or gooseneck
mic' attached to a plastic chest-plate which itself is hung around their
neck.  Seems like you could choose your favorite mic', mount it to a
chest-plate, run it through a wireless unit on your belt and viola.  How you
carry your '59 Bassman along is a whole other problem.  ;^)

> I'm still looking into inside-the-hand mics like the Harmonica Honker.
> But it occurs to me that with the mic inside the hand cup, it will
> capture something quite different from the outside-the-cup sound I'm
> looking for. I'll be trying out a unit soon and will be able to tell if
> this is an issue.

I also like Jaime's idea of putting the ring mic' on the outside of your
hand.  I'd be very interested in the outcome of your experiments with an
inside-the-hand mic.

I know you'll come up with a good solution, Winslow, and I hope you share it
when you do.

Good luck,

Michelle