Re: [Harp-L] Scat singing

Pierre wrote:
I've been wondering wether scat singing can be used to improve ones ability to improvise, to improve one's ear, ones rythm etc.

My occasional harp teacher is a great scat singer, he can take any lick he hears and sing it in scat. Charlie Parker licks, whatever. I mentioned Night in Tunisia to him when the thread was going and out popped Night in Tunisia scat style.

Anybody able to do this effectively? is there a basic language? what syllables are commonly used? what syllables should be avoided?

Pierre.