[Harp-L] Good jam last night with a harp-l member

Hey y'all:

After all the recent posting of jam session horror stories, I thought I'd
relate a little success from last night's "Uncle Ed's Roadhouse Revival
Open Mic" gig.  Harp-l member Eric Neumann showed up.  It's always cool
to meet players from this list you've never seen before.  He was such a
pleasant surprise, however, he wound up playing most of the night with
myself and regular rhythm section True Blue.

Man, we threw *everything* at him and he smoked it.  Wasn't just the Muddy
Waters standards or even the spur of the moment Rolling Stones cover - oh
no - he got the full 9 yards.  Before the night was through we took
musical detours through "Birdland" by Weather Report, the theme from TV
show "Green Acres," and I even remember (sort of, thanks to a bottle of
Southern Comfort on the bandstand) a brief sojourn through a stretch of
"Smoke on the Water" that segued into or out of the Peter Gunn theme.  It
was glorious musical anarchy in addition to some really hot and smoking
blues playing.

I've got an adventurous band with the chops and cohesion to follow me out
on a musical limb if we take a sharp left turn during a solo, but this was
that all too rare instance of a jam session participant helping take a
good gig and boot it up to the next level.  Wish they all were that loose
and funky (I meant the jam night, although that probably describes Eric as
well).

Anyone who's going to be in the Austin area on the 24th, stop on in and
let's make some mayhem and music.  I promise we'll try to leave the TV
show theme songs in the closet this time...

Best regards,

Tio Ed

Ed Kliman
Publisher
TexasMusicForge.com
"Written, musical and electronic communications
       for a changing World...."