[Harp-L] Re: Aura: a harmonica or a Jaw harp?

Nidalap :D~ wrote:

>  http://www.yellowstone.idv.tw/discuss/phote08/007.jpg
>
>  I'm curious about what "Aura" actually was:
>  a free-reed instrument? or a Jaw harp?

I'm sure you noticed that the name of Heinrich Scheibler is given as the
maker of that instrument in the link.  The instrument invented by 16 year old
Christian Friedrich Buschmann was nicknamed "Aura" as well, by Buschmann
himself, I think, but the actual appellation he gave it was "Mundaeoline".

It was indeed a set of 15 "steel reeds arranged together horizontally in
small channels," [from Hohner] but I'm still trying to learn on what the
reeds of this all blow instrument were mounted... metal, wood, ivory?  Other
types of that general period being created were basically nothing more than
reedplates, as in one made by Wheatstone in 1828 of argentum [nickel silver].
 Regardless, from the quotes I've seen of Buschmann's letter to his brother,
I've also wondered about how he obtained, as he claimed, 21 notes on the
instrument.  With only 15 reeds, had he also discovered bending notes???
Hmmm... there's a thought.  ;)

The Hohner website presently uses this quote:
"a truly unique musical instrument... only four inches in diameter and
equally high, with 21 notes and crescendo playing possibilities... with
harmonies of six tones, which can be held as long as the player has breath."

But, I also got this quote from a former Hohner site a few years ago:
"a new instrument that is truly remarkable. In its entirety it measures but
four inches in diameter...but gives me twenty-one notes, and all the
pianissimos and crescendos one could want without a keyboard, harmonies of
six tones, and the ability to hold a note as long as one would wish to."

Just some differences in translation, I suspect.

It's good to remember that, although he apparently recognized he could "play"
this new gadget musically, this and other similar instruments being developed
at the time were aimed at being used for tuning other instruments... organs,
violins, etc.  In fact, he followed up this invention a year later by using
this design to create a portable, bellows-driven instrument for tuning organs
that had a reedplate mounted on wood with channels.  It was also single
action - all blow notes.

Hope that's of interest.

=[BOBBIE]=