[Harp-L] re: vocal mics and harp

A lot of people use a vocal mic for harp--James Cotton, Charlie Musselwhite,
John Popper, etc. Yes you can cup them. If you're playing through a vocal mic
that's set up for a singer, it will be too loud. Turn the volume down, turn the
treble down. If you have an amp set up so it sounds good with a bullet mic, turn
down the treble when you use a vocal mic--greater frequency range.

My bullet mic has a real limited frequency range so it has a built in EQ--nice
and low fi. It's also really hot so it tends to drive the amp a little. It
doesn't matter much. A mic is a mic. I mentioned the sm57 because it's common,
cheap, sounds good, and is indestructible.There's a lot of other mics out there
just as good.

For live amplification keep it simple, something that's reliable and loud (and
hopefully light). Get something you don't have to worry about, so you can
concentrate on playing.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm