Re: [Harp-L] do you know this film "Afterthought"

--- harmonicas sur cher <harmonicall@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi Ken,
> thanks you for your help.
<<snip>>

> Have someone other ideas ?
> It seems there's not so many documentaries about
> our instrument :-(

Hi Christophe,

The film I mentioned, "Harmonica Crossing", is a
documentary about Mike Stevens, a spectacular
country harmonica player.

You hadn't specified documentary movies in your
original post and so I based my response on what I
learned about the film "Afterthought" which
certainly is not a documentary.

You're right, however, there isn't much out there
filmwise dedicated to harmonica, but there are a
few nuggets.

Here are some other suggestions:

There was a recent thread here concerning a film
that just aired on Public Television here in the
U.S. about the incomparable old time harp player
DeFord Bailey. Look here:
http://www.pbs.org/deford/
I missed the show, but suspect it's great.

There are a bunch of DVDs available from Elderly
Music... a few of which are harp-centric:

Here's a video called "SONNY TERRY: WHOOPIN' THE
BLUES 1958-74"
http://www.elderly.com/videos/items/VEST-DVD13057.htm

I have this entire series: "THE AMERICAN FOLK BLUES
FESTIVAL 1962-66, VOL. 1 (plus Vol. 2 and Vol. 3).
Recorded for UK television back in the day. There
is some ~great~ footage of Sonny Boy Williamson II,
Sonny Terry, Howlin' Wolf, Walter Horton and even
Little Walter (on Vol. 3, though not at his best)
http://www.elderly.com/videos/items/HIP-DVD75009.htm

Speaking of Howlin' Wolf: "THE HOWLIN' WOLF STORY"
http://www.elderly.com/videos/items/BLUEBIRD-DVD56631.htm

Here's another called "DEEP BLUES: A MUSICAL
PILGRIMAGE TO THE CROSSROADS" that appears to have
a bit of harp on it.
http://www.elderly.com/videos/items/SHOUT-DVD30179.htm

Here's on about John Mayall, "JOHN MAYALL AND THE
BLUESBREAKERS - 70th BIRTHDAY CONCERT"
http://www.elderly.com/videos/items/EAGLE-DVD190229.htm

Here's a Muddy Waters concert featuring George
Harmonica Smith: "MUDDY WATERS IN CONCERT 1971"
http://www.elderly.com/videos/items/VEST-DVD13085.htm

More Muddy (not sure who's playing harp here...
perhaps Jerry Portnoy? "MUDDY WATERS: GOT MY MOJO
WORKING"
http://www.elderly.com/videos/items/YAZ-DVD521.htm

Good Luck!!

Harpin' in Colorado,