RE: [Harp-L] Bad Harp Movies

on Sun, 20 Feb 2005 10:27:10 -0700, Michelle wrote about how bad the
harp playing is in "Once Apon The Time In The West!":

  Now please don't tell me that Tommy Morgan played the harmonica in
  "Once
  Apon The Time In The West!" I stand by my opinion that THAT was the
  most
  terrible playing ever to appear in a movie. I don't care who did it,
  it is
  painful to listen to and it ruined the movie for ~me~. The playing is
  the
  same plaintive squeal (yes, probably 6 draw) from start to finish.
  Gives me
  the shivers just thinking about it.

Michelle, i think this was exactly the point of why the harp was used in
this way - it was deisgned to make the viewer feel extremely
uncomfortable and when you heard that "siren-call"  you knew nasty
Charles Bronson was just around the corner.  i don't think having his
character playing a perfect minute waltz or hoedown or something would
have been very appropriate....   ...   ...

of course, i wouldn't recommendt to harp students to learn Bornon's tune
note for note (^_^) and add it to their repettoire, but to me it's
another example of how diverse an instrument the harmonica can be.  don't
forget Harmonica John Fraizer's signature - his quote from the twilight
zone episode w/ Burgess Merideth (*i think*):

"Watch out! He has some kind of an instrument that lets out a death
sound!"

best,

-sg, tumon bay

ps--another annoying , excrutiating. and relentless sound in an amazing
movie is the basic standard telephone ring in "Corndog Man".  although
difficult to listen to, it made the film what it was - exactly great!

Message: 11