[Harp-L] Maybe August - A Fine How Do You Do (Review)

I have just posted a review of Maybe August's A Fine How Do You Do on my weblog at http://harmonica.typepad.com/. Maybe August, for those who would not know it, is a rock band featuring our very own Rosco Selley on harmonica. Here are the first few lines to whet your appetite :

"This may sound like a surprising statement, but there is no such thing as an established corpus of rock harmonica. Of course, there?s plenty of harmonica in rock, from the Beatles to the Stones, via Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin. But when you listen to what they are actually playing, well, it?s blues, isn?t it? Maybe on a different, heavier backdrop, but it remains blues riffs. Apart from John Popper, no one, to my knowledge, has developed a rock vocabulary on the diatonic harmonica.

That?s one of the reasons why I had high expectations for Maybe August?s debut album. The other is that I had heard Rosco Selley?s harmonica work in his previous band Blues Controversy, and I knew he was both a skilful player and an explorer, not shy of using the instrument in different ways."

Find the rest at http://harmonica.typepad.com

Ben FELTEN
http://harmonica.typepad.com