Re: [Harp-L] re: classical music

No easy way to get into classical music?

Wow!!

I have been a deep deep classical music guy for years and years way back into the dark ages. Hated pop, despised the diatonic harmonica, etc etc... you get the picture.

Funnily enough, the wealth of music I now get into was from ... ghasp... actually listening to other types of music! The reason I got to be turned on to AT LEAST five different styles of music outside my own personal bigotry was because I listened to it LIVE.... it's MUSIC for goodness sake and when you hear it played well it (almos) doesn't matter what you listen to, you will find you thrill to it.

Not please... the magic ingredient is hearing stuff which is brilliantly plaid/sung whatever.

I was lucky... Jack Ely invited me to play at a Buckeye festival in the mid 90s.... I would defy anyone with any sort of open mind not coming away from an event like that not wanting to explore something new in music.

Do something daring and go to a LIVE concert of a decent symphony orchestra plAying if you want to have a dip into classical... once you have heard the real sounds, atmosphere and impact you will never look back. (by the way, for the word 'classical' please insert almost any other genre in that sentence... it usually works)

In my case I so liked the variety i heard that I bought the company. OK, not quite, but I picked up the job of helping (?) SPAH for the last 5 years...

Come in ... to ALL genres, the water's lovely.

Douglas tate
President ... SPAH