Re: [Harp-L] Re : Harmonica America & Classical Music

At 15:30 22/02/2005, party_man1@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Er ... Wow!!

Great post!. ( i.e. I agree with a lot of it :))

Couple of things....

Classical isn't a Was it's an is... It is justa ss developing now as it always has been.... and watch it... it's broadening, just as any live genre must explore and explore in order to keep it's vitality.

One of the unfortunate thing about labels is that (a) the stick ... and (b) some stupid idiot nearly always gets it wrong... hindsight isn't always good or right.

If you look at what we CALL Classical music ( because this is how the label is recognized) it contains genres as diverse as Soft pop and hard rock are today OUTSIDE what we call classical.
Believe you me, in a couple of hundred years time the current last 60 years will also be a portion of a historic footnote.

The UNFORTUNATE thing about what is going on now is that, great recording techniques are turning what were great performances to stone. As a result of this there is a lot less dynamic variation going on of well loved music (of all genres) because people want to hear 'the original' on their covers!!! And one talks about classical ossification :))

The interesting thing about classical is that there are thousands of people beavering away at new interpretations of the 'set in stone' music. Hey!! I believe that someone else besides Bing Crosby sang White Christmas!

Douglas t