[Harp-L] Re: Retuning a Hohner Autovalve 105

Barbara Butler wrote:

I am thinking about tuning the 3 blow up a full tone on an Autovalve
105. I have done this on standard diatonics. I know I would have to
tune both blow reeds up the same amount, since it is an octave harp.
Are there any secrets for tuning these without damaging the valves?
Also, is there anywhere I could get a description of what reeds are
where inside, or is it set up like a diatonic with blow reeds on top,
draw on the bottom?

=================Winslow:

The Autovalve does not use the Richter setup of blow on top plate, draw
on bottom. Rather, it uses the Knittlinger construction with blow and
draw side by side on the same plate and in the same hole, with a
complete blow-draw set in the high octave on one reedplate, and another
blow-draw set in the lower octave on the other reedplate.

The third set of blow-draw reeds from the left will be the set for the
third hole, with the inside reed being the blow reed - that's the one
you want to retune. (Another way of sayng this is that the third from
the left that is inside the harmonica is the Blow 3 reed.)

There will be valves to the left and right of the reed you are tuning.
One way to proect them is to slip a sheet of paper or stiff but
flexible plastic under the reed you are tuning but over the rest of the
reedplate, valves included.

There will also be a valve UNDER the reed you are tuning, on the other
slide of the slot for that reed. Provided you don't poke anything sharp
through the reed slot or expose that side of the reedplate to things
that are rough, sharp, or snaggly, it should be safe.

Once you're done tuning, remove any dust or brass particles by first
turning the reedplate uside down to let anything loose fall away. If
anything is still adhering to the reed, reedplate, or valve, carefully
brush it away without snagging the valves or reeds.

Winslow