[Harp-L] building a solo

I have been playing harmonica for about 5 years now.  I've had lessons, bought
and worked through the Portnoy Master Class set.  I play along with many blues
cds.  I've even been to a few open mic nights.  My question for the gang is
about the mechanics of building a solo.

This next step has been a mystery to me for a long time now.  There must be
some science to putting the notes together so they match the song. How do you
prepare for your time in the spotlight?  I think this is the next plateau I
must conquer to move on in skill levels.

Thanks

TDBecker