Re: [Harp-L] suzuki promaster vs. hohner meisterklasse...

Evan Porter wrote:
> what are the pros cons of these two models and how do they stack
> up.  their design looks identical but the suzuki is a good bit
> less, about $20...

In my opinion, the old handmade Meisterklasse was much more similar
to the Promaster than the current MS Meisterklasse.  The MS models
are much bigger and use cast combs with hollows to reduce weight
(and presumably expense).  The promaster has solid, machined combs.
My biggest beefs with the promaster are the welded reeds (making
customizing dicey and maintenance problematic) and the poor fit of
the covers where they meet the reedplates and the ends of the harp,
which can sometimes make them leaky.  I'm not a big fan of the MS
Meisterklasse, but it's probably mostly bitterness at the
discontinuation of the handmade Meisterklasse, which was a jewel of
a harp.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps