RE: [Harp-L] Happy New Year

I spent New Year's Eve playing Johnny Cash tunes down at the Legion Hall. We
kept things fairly mellow for the first set then cranked it up after that. We
had a friend sit in with us on guitar and vocals. A real musician, he really
helped push the band. There's a rotating crew of drummers and this time we got
Gordon who toured the world in the 80s playing with various dance troupes.
Needless to say he can keep a groove. With three guitarists I spent the whole
night watching everyone, ready to jump in when someone would give me the nod.
The band sounded as good as it ever has. No rehearsals since October. No set
list.
The only real problem was keeping the harp turned down enough. With a 50 watt
amp, I had the amp turned down to that magic spot between 1 and 2 where if I
turned it down any more I wouldn't get any sound at all. With a good bass
player, an excellent drummer, and two good singers it's hard to screw up.

Rainbow Jimmy

Six out of seven of the regular lads miraculously "obtained release papers" for the new year's eve session at the Tree Inn, Cornwall, and we had a superb evening. The new pub landlord is not only a sympathiser but is also one of the best Scottish war-pipes players on the planet, and he snook off at about 11.55 only to reappear in the doorway at one minute to midnight, playing out the old year with Auld Lang Syne at approx. 150 decibels. He then regaled us with a few jigs and reels. I was playing the harmonica slightly more accurately than usual as I was more sober than usual, as I later had to drive several miles to join my wife at a party (I made up for it later!). It was the first public outing for my XB40. I needed it for an accidental - a blow bend - in the Sailor's Hornpipe, which I thought I'd nailed in practice....wrong! I completely screwed up that bend every time but I doubt whether anyone noticed. Who was it who said that to play it 100% perfect in public you need to play it 150% perfect in practice. Wise words whoever it was. The pub was very hot and crowded so I wasn't exactly as fresh as I could have been when I got to the party.....

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica http://harmonicapics.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk Hear clips from my CD at http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm