[Harp-L] chromatic question

I'm studying Jamie Eversol's jazz improv. course.  Trying to do my dorian scales intervals, chord patterns rapid-fire.  My question:  ex. the F dorian has the draw F note and the button blow F, the blow C and the button draw C.  Is it a matter of personal preference as to which to use, or is there a preferred choice and a reason for it?  Hope this makes sense.  I've never really given it a thought, just did what felt comfortable.  Bullfrog