  From: Bob Cohen
  To: Pierre ; Harp-L
  Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 9:56 AM
  Subject: Re: [Harp-L] re: rhythm playing

  Pierre wrote:

    Sorry,

    D, G, C are notes in ABC format
  No worries.  I was just wondering which harp you were talking about.  Aren't the notes in each hole different from scale to scale?

    BTW have been doing the major scale for a while now trying to emphasize (tongue or just louder) one particular note every time around while keeping time. Was really not easy at all.
  Cool.  I've never really done stuff like that, though I play a pretty passable harp.  This sounds like what I need to get to the next place with my playing.

    Started doing parradiddles (Chris's suggestion from a few days ago) as a separate exercise and maybe I was just getting there anyway, but suddenly I can do the emphasis exercise on every note up and down. Still need more practice, buts its at the fluid level with the odd mistake.
  This sounds like a great way to get a better handle on being facile with rhythm-oriented solos.

    The paradiddle I was doing is as follows:

    <    <    <    <
    RLRL RLRL RLRL RLRL etc.
  I've been doing some poking around and understand the notation now.  What I'm not clear on is what to do with the blow and draw when doing the paradiddles.  Are you actually working the scale up and down or just working out on one hole at a time?

  E.g.,  Starting at the One hole and playing through all three octaves

  <             <

  R  L  R  L    R  L  R L    etc.

  Do Re  Mi  Fa     So  La  Ti  Do

  Or, Pick a hole, any hole and play the diddle?

  I intend to experiment but am curious to know what you and others are doing.

    < means emphasize (I think, see web site below)

  I found it yesterday.  Thanks.  Here' s another one.  It's got audio: http://www.drummingweb.com/paradiddles.htm

    By the way it helps to do the paraddidle by drumming fingers on a table or something first.
  Thanks for being so helpful Pierre!

  Cheers,
  Bob