[Harp-L] New subject: Why is a harmonica called a harp?

Okay.  I'm going to play stupid ignoramus from New York and give all  of you
educated "harp" players from around the country as well as the  world the
opportunity to educate me as to just when, where and how a perfectly  good
harmonica which I referred to as a mouth organ as a child became a  "harp".  What is
wrong with harmonica?  A harp is (as aforementioned)  a big floor model
thingie with strings that are plucked by someone far more  ethereal than I could
ever hope to be.  A harpsichord is something  else entirely and related to the
piano.  So who on earth (and why)  originally designated a harmonica a "harp" in
the first place?

Since it just doesn't roll off my tongue well, I'm waiting with bated  breath
for an answer satisfactory enough to overcome my resistance to calling it  a
harp.

Elizabeth