RE: [Harp-L] Re: Digest Number 1533 Harmonica as harp ?

Cheated? Fooled? Wow, haha. Call it a harp if you play it like a "harp"
in the harmonica sense. It's a matter of feeling. If you play it like a
harmonica, then call it that. That (again) is not a slam against either
'sound', they're both awesome (depending on the musician of course). I
associate harmonica playing with melodic, chromatic, first position,
that sort of thing. It's just how I interpret it, everyone is free to
have their own (at least in the country I'm in).

"I cannot say it without bothering my heart fearing criticism or
ridicule from traditional classical musicians or harpists."
Don't fear those sissies that play that ridiculous stand-up stringed
thing. You can take them. I think. I got your back sucka. If I'm going
to say 'harp' (and I just about always do), I usually say "blues harp"
to qualify it such that someone knows *exactly* what I'm talking about
(unless they're clueless anyway). I think that fits, and should make all
but the most neurotic happy.

Don't even bring karaoke into this. My sister made me go once because
some guy she liked was a 'regular'. I have never seen such a shameless
display of horrible noise in my life, but yet all the participants were
hugging and high-fiving each other after each song as if they had just
won the grammies or American Idol or whatever. I can't sing, so I don't
try. I don't hurt other people intentionally.

"porka"  Hell, I don't even know her. Little humor there, haha. That's
even worse than "mouth organ". Maybe I'm paranoid or sensitive, but I
can't get past the sexual connotations of either one. We don't need more
names for this instrument, it has too many already! Would one who plays
good "porka" be said to have good "porkachops"?

Hope you don't take offense or take anything I said seriously there, all
in jest, this is a pretty ridiculous thread and I assumed that your post
was also facetious, so I hope I was right and you were just kidding too!
:-)