[Harp-L] Jazz Church

I just have to share a new phenomenon occurring at my church. They're experimenting with different kinds of music. For the last couple of months, they've had a jazz trio (piano, bass, drums) playing a few songs, backing singers, and playing short incidentals during the service. This morning they even slipped in Duke's "Time's a Wastin". Imagine, Blues at church! The listening experience throws me a little off-balance, as they still play organ for hymns. They tried the hymns with the trio, but it was too fast and thin - just didn't work. Every week I'm amazed by this. Bossas, blue notes, sizzle cymbals, complex chords, and even - dare I say - the devil's interval! But this morning, it even got cooler. The drummer whipped out this little keyboard attached to some sort of mouth tube. I later learned this was called a "melodica". It sounded as close to a harmonica as I've heard! Made me want to get up and jam with the band!

Has anybody experienced any "alternative" music at church like this? I'm loving it! And does anybody have experience with the melodica? That little device was very interesting.

Thanks,

Tim Dougherty
www.HarpMicGaskets.com