Re: [Harp-L] what to do during the guitar solo

On Jan 9, 2005, at 10:45 PM, Garry Hodgson wrote:

as i'm starting to play with other people, i could use a little advice about what to do when i'm not soloing.

advice will be hard to give. It all depends on the group.

 that is, how
to acompany well.  when the guitarist is soloing, should i not
play at all?

Some don't like you to, some DO like you to. Depends on what you can add. I would check ahead of time.

 or play occasional accents?  quiet rhythm patterns,
following what the drummer and bass are playing?

This can also vary. Sometimes on CERTAIN tunes, the guitar may not appreciate help as they have a set way of handling their solo and may not want extra notes. Conversely, on the very NEXT tune, they may feel the extra notes are a bonus. Sometimes if the group has a leader (such as a keyboardist) the leader decides.

  octaves
following the chord progression?  or what?

Yes, what you said, but at THEIR option.

there was some mention a while back of playing behind the guitar, but i got no explanation of what that meant.

Playing behind the guitar is just what you said. accents, chords, (more or less like the horn section playing accents behind James Brown's singing)

i'd really appreciate any advice, tips, exercises, useful mindsets, whatever, that anyone could give me. give me something to work on come jam night.

Find out what you can do to ADD to the whole enchilada. Proper mind set would to be flexible, fluid, relaxed.

thanks

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Be happy for this moment.
This moment is your life.