Fwd: [Harp-L] U-block and Tongue-blocking

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "VILLEMINOT,Christophe"
<Christophe.VILLEMINOT@xxxx> wrote:
Hello,

1) Last week-end, I've tried to use "U-block" but it's very difficult.
I don't understand how to do. Someone can explain me an easier way to
do it
?

2) Also, When you play in "Tongue-blocking" and you have to play on
the
first or second hole, do you use "left Tongue-blocking" or "Pucker" ?

============Winslow writes:

You have three choices:

- pucker

- left-side tongue block

- right side "air block"

The first two don't need further definition, but let me expand on the
air block.

Normally when you tongue block, your lips and tongue are in contact
with the covers and mouthpiece of the harmonica, and this contact
creates the airtight seal that allows air to be directed solely to
the holes you wish to play.

When playing the holes at the extreme left using a right side tongue
block, the let side of the lips and tongue extend off the left end of
the harmonica and be hanging in the air, so to speak. However, this
does not mean any loss of airtightness. Normally, when tongue
blocking, the tongue is extended through the lips to contact the
mouthpiece. The contact between tongue and lips is enough to form an
airtight seal when the left portion of the embouchure extends off the
left end of the harmonica and is exposed to the air.

This air block allows you to maintain a consistent right-side tongue
block when desired.

Which of the three choices should you use in any particular
circumstance? That depends on the context.

- If you are playing a line that employs a right-side tongue block
and there is no other reason to change, then just maintain iit and
use an air block as needed.

- If you are playing a line that makes a sudden rightward leap from
holes 1 or 2, then switching to a left side tongue block for Holes 1
and 2 may faciliate that action by switching from left (for Holes 1
or 2) to right (for higher holes like 4 or above) in order to make a
clean, smooth leap.

If you are playing a lot of alternating chords and single notes in
the Holes 1-3 area, some of this may be easier or more characteristic
with a pucker. Likewise, if the passage requires precise bending and
separate articulation (like staccato) of bent notes, you may find
this works better with pucker, depending on your skill level with
tongue blocked bends and articulation.

Winslow