[Harp-L] RE: Gapping query for XB-40

Hi Winslow,

Thank you for your message.  The XB-40's auxiliary reeds seem to respond
best with little or no curvature and with an offset that is nearly but
not quite zero.  If an auxiliary reed rests too far down into the slot
it can be somewhat intractable and hesitant in bending.  If it has too
high an offset the bend may have a breathy hesitancy similar to that of
a standard Richter with too much reed offset.

Richard describes his auxiliary reeds as being "decidedly gapped".  This
would indicate to me that their gaps are too high, since the optimal gap
should be hardly noticeable.

Best regards,

Rick Epping
Hohner, Inc.