Re: [Harp-L] paddy tuned for blues

Paul Bowering wrote:
> Wondering if anyone uses a Paddy Richter tuned harp
> for blues playing.
<snip>
> Of course you have to give to get so you lose the IV
> chord when playing cross harp. For Paddy players, how
> much do you miss being able to do that rhythm chugging?

I play Paddy Richter tunings for pretty much everything these days.
I'm not primarily a blues player, but I do a fair amount of I-IV-V
stuff sitting in with other people.  The only thing I missed when I
switched to the raised 3 blow was the 3-6 octave, which I used to
use pretty frequently.  I'm not much for chords, even when chugging,
so the IV chord was no great loss for me.

You can hear some stuff played on Paddy Richter tuning, though you
can't much tell it:

http://www.workingmansharps.com/Sounds/

The first four tunes are all on Paddy Richter tuned harps.  The
other two studio tunes are on various minor tuned harps.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps
http://www.workingmansharps.com/