Re: [Harp-L] Paddy Richter for Blues?

Tim hits the nail on the head here. When I first started playing lots
of fiddle tunes, I got several Paddy Richter tuned harps from Brendan
(and, in fact, I think you made me one too, Tim) but I cannot live
without being able to play low-end rhythm chords. First of all, I like
to do mandolin-style chucks behind other players (especially if
there's no mandolin), and second, I prefer to play some fiddle tunes
tongue-blocked so I can use a lot of rhythm, and I'll live with having
to hit the 3-draw bend when I need it. You lose some precision on
maybe five notes in the whole tune, but you gain a great rhythmic
sense that makes some tunes work beautifully with no backing at all.

In fact I've often wished I had a tuning that would let me do
tongue-blocking over the nasty 6-7 draw area, but I don't think that's
possible without seriously impairing the ability to play melodies.

Ken

--

Ken Ficara
Music, quotes, writing and more at